Wednesday, July 11, 2007

The Dollar Store


You can save a lot of money by shopping at The Dollar Store.

I know. You're probably turning up your nose (as my husband does). The Dollar Store - yuk! Yes, there is usually a lot of junk at The Dollar Store, but if you can look past the junk and know what to buy you can really save a lot of money.

My favorite local dollar store is called The Dollar Tree. At this store, all of the items are actually one dollar. (I don't bother with Family Dollar and others where the items are $1 and up.) I make a trip to the Dollar Tree at least once a month, and often more than that. Most of the items that I feel are a good buys are household items. Many of these items would cost three or four times more if purchased at any other store.

Here is a list of items I typically purchase at The Dollar Tree: (yes, for $1 each!)
- Greeting Cards (2)
- Gift Bags (2)
- Gift Tissue (40 sheets)
- Balloons
- Party Stuff (plastic table cloths, plates, cups, utensils)
- Dishwasher Detergent (a great buy!)
- Band-Aids (70 - not brand name)
- Crest or Colgate toothpaste (brand name)
- Liquid Hand Soap (huge bottle)
- Dish Soap
- Laundry Stain Remover Spray
- Shampoo (Suave, VO5)
- Kid's Shampoo (Breck)
- Kid's Detangle Spary (Breck)
- Hairspray
- Pain Reliever (50 count - not brand name)
- Vaseline (not brand name)
- Baby Powder
- Paper Towels (2 rolls)
- Napkins (250)
- Liquid Plumber (not brand name)
- Sun Block Lotion (great buy!)

All of the above items I purchase on a regular basis and am pleased with the quality of the products. Once I got some Band Aids there that were terrible because they didn't stick. But I have since purchased Band Aids there that were perfectly fine. A friend of mine once got some no name Q-tips there which she said were terrible. But for the most part, I haven't had many problems with quality. And the way I look at it, you're only paying $1 so you can afford to take the risk.

Many of the items on my list would cost up to $3.99, almost four times more, if purchased at another store. Like Band-Aids, pain reliever, dishwasher detergent, gift bags, sun block - all of these items are often sold for $3.99 and up!

So, if you haven't already, save money by adding The Dollar Store to your monthly shopping list!