Friday, October 10, 2008

Bare Necessity Expenses

I decided that I should figure out what our actual "bare necessity expenses" are for one month. These are the expenses we couldn't get rid of, even with a job loss, or something like that.

The total of our necessary monthly expenses comes to $3,965.

It is somewhat interesting to me because my husband's salary (without commission) is $4,400. I actually had thought that his base salary would NOT cover our basic expenses, but I guess it does. Well, pretty close anyway. In this list I have lowered our auto gas figure considerably if my husband wasn't commuting to work.


So, if my husband lost his job, we would have to earn a minimum of $4,000 a month

Expenses

AUTO-Excise Tax
AUTO GAS - BR 150
AUTO-Insurance 120
AUTO-Maintenance
CASH-Auto Gas JR
CASH-Clothing
CASH-Dining Out
CASH-Gifts
CASH-Grocery 200
CASH-Kids Allowance
CASH-Parties
CASH-School Lunch
CASH-Spending
DEBT-Equity Loan 103
DEBT-Visa
HOME-Cable/Phone 181
HOME-Electric 190
HOME-Furnace 0
HOME-Mortgage 2328
HOME-Oil 550
HOME-Trash 20
KIDS-Bball
KIDS-Misc.
KIDS-Piano
KIDS-Preschool
MISC.
MISC.
PERSONAL-Cell Phone
PERSONAL-Contacts
PERSONAL-Life Ins. 23
PERSONAL-Newspap
PERSONAL-Rx
PERSONAL-Braces 100
PERSONAL-BR Sports
PERSONAL-Vacation
TRANSFER-To Sav 2
TOTAL

3965




So, if my husband lost his job, we would need to come up with $4,000 a month to survive (at least in our current house). For one person working 40 hours a week, that would mean an hourly wage better than $25 an hour. That might be hard to come by in a bad economy.

Right now we have $8,000 in our savings account. That would get us through 2 months. By the end of the year we will have $20,000 in our account. That would get us through 5 months.

I'm not sure if I feel better or worse, but I think it is good information to know.

Do you know what your "Bare Necessity Expenses" are?