Friday, August 17, 2007

Back On Track

Okay. I stayed up late last night and went through everything. Here's where I stand right now:

Groceries - I went over budget by $25.44.
Vacation - I went over the revised budget by $153.38.
Contacts - I went over budget by $10.

Total of $188.82 over budget.

So, I decided that in order to realistically be able to stay on plan for the rest of the month, and so that we will still contribute the $1,100 snowball towards our debts, I am going to revise my budget and increase it by $188.82. This is basically taking some money away from what I planned to save for next month's expenses. (Because my husband is on commission, I try to save some funds from the high commission month's to cover the low commission months. I have a few thousand dollars in a savings account for this and also some cushion in the checking account for the same reason. So, my cushion will just be a little lower.) So, here it is:

Original Budget
Saved From Last Month: $550
Income: $7,551.00
Expenses: $6,474
Left To Save For Next Month: $1,627

Revised Budget
Saved From Last Month: $550
Income: $7,551.00
Expenses: $6,662.82
Left To Save For Next Month: $1,438.18

I'm going to keep the $188.82 in the Misc. category so that I can use it for whatever I need to during the month. I have less than nothing left in the grocery budget so I'm sure I'll need to use some for that. And, although we have gone waaay over in the vacation category, we have already made plans with friends to bring the kids to a water park next week.

It has been far from a perfect month, but I'm back on track and I have a plan!