Thursday, September 25, 2008

I'm Still Here

Wow. It's been over a week. The busy excuse just doesn't cut it.

A lot has been going on. Our current major decision is about heating our home this winter. We did set aside money to replace our heating system. We ear marked $5,000 for this and it was supposed to get done over the summer. We did some research and couldn't decide if we should replace with a new Oil system (forced hot water) like we have now - or with the outrageous price of oil, if we should do a Propane or Electric (new type) system to try to save on heating costs.

Then my husband started thinking that maybe we should replace our very old windows this year, and replace the heating system next year.

I just don't know.

With the economy the way it is, I am feeling very unsettled and am reluctant to spend the money we have set aside. I feel like we may need that money for food and the mortgage.

The financial institutions crisis may have a very real effect on my husband's commission. About 50% of his account base is made up of financial institutions (including AIG and Meryl Lynch). This could mean a very real drop in our income this year. My security gland is nervous!

Then there is my sisters wedding to consider. The plan is for her to have her wedding in Florida in April. This will require my family of 5 to fly down to Florida. This will be expensive. I am thinking around $4,000.

The way I have everything laid out in the budget, it might all work, assuming my husband's commission at a certain level.

So, we have a lot of decisions to make right now and it is causing some stress and arguing in my marriage. It doesn't help that my parents have been staying with us for over a month and my husband is tired of having company here.

So, even though I haven't been posting - finances have definitely been on my mind.