Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Refinancing Reconsidered

Sorry I haven't posted in so long. Just seems like I haven't really had anything to report lately . . .

Today we did get an email from our mortgage broker checking in about refinancing, asking us if we wanted to go ahead. At first I assumed that meant the rate had gone back down to 4.5% (for a 15 year fixed) - but he said he would get back to me on that, so . . . we'll see.

I do feel a bit better about the idea of rolling the HELOC into the refinance because I was watching the Dave Ramsey show this morning (on dvr) and he just recommended that to a family that is in a similar financial situation as my family. He noted that they could then move past BS2 and work on building up the FFEF - which is what I really want to do.

So, I'm hopeful once again that maybe this will happen and get us moving forward again.

I know that we aren't really "stuck" right now, but it does feel a little like that. With us putting the snowball money into savings, it just doesn't feel like we're moving closer to our goals, even though I know inside that we are.

I guess it's just a tug of war between wanting to feel the security of having a lot in savings ("just in case") and the feeling of freedom from being close to debt free.