Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Risky Business

I signed up for a craft booth to sell my jewelry at our local Harvest Festival on October 5th. I'm pretty nervous about it!

First I was nervous because it is a "juried" craft show, meaning that a jury (panel of judges) has to approve your items before they will allow you in the show. Luckily this went well and I got in!

What I'm nervous about now is all the fees! I had to pay $145 just to be in the show. And now I have to purchase my own 10'x10' tent! This will cost between $79 - $140 depending on how nice of a tent I get. I'm not sure if I should get the cheapest or if the old adage "you get what you pay for" will apply and lead me to regret going cheap (although $79 isn't exactly cheap!).

So, right off the bat I will have invested $224 on this show. My pendants (which is what I will predominantly be selling) sell for $6 each, so I'll need to sell 37 pendants just to cover my entrance fees!

Of course, I am hoping to sell more like 300 pendants! So, we'll see.

This seems a bit too much like gambling!